“To its great credit, Wimbledon has been a leader in bringing about change and improvement in the sport.” – Fred Perry
As far as July sporting events go, Wimbledon is one of the most iconic and when it’s on, London goes wild.
Despite the drizzle, droves of keen tennis fans from all walks of life are flocking to the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club to get a glimpse of the action. And of course, there’s champagne, there are strawberries, and there’s cream.
As our very own Andy Murray fights to defend his Wimbledon title, sports fans all over the city will be hosting parties and hitting the pub to follow the thrills, spills, highs and lows of the tournament.
If you’re a Londoner and you want to get out there to enjoy the tennis in like-minded, beer (or wine, or bubbly) guzzling company, here are a few venues that we think will tickle your tennis fancy…
Where to watch Wimbledon
- Patch St Paul’s: Classy cocktails, light bites and comfortable seats from which to soak up the sporting drama.
- Cinnamon Kitchen: Delicious Indian food in a Bombay Sapphire sponsored al fresco gin garden complete with pop-up cocktail bar.
- The Refinery, Bankside: Kick back on a seaside deckchair, grab a drink and enjoy Wimbledon on a big old outdoor screen.
- The Golden Bee: Okay, for the final, the rooftop of The Bee in Shoreditch in partnership with Chambord Royale is the place to be. If you can’t physically get yourself court side, this is the next best thing – so don’t miss out.
Where to recreate Wimbledon
Okay you may be mediocre at playing tennis, perhaps you’re even pony at it, but if you’re caught up in Wimbledon mania and you’d like to knock a few balls around with a few friends and hold your own unofficial mini-tournament, here are a few London-based courts that will be perfect (they’re free, too)…
- Southwark Park, Bermondsey: A wonderful leafy setting with a host of courts and a top notch cafe for apres-tennis banter.
- Bush Hill Park, Enfield: This is one of largest open tennis centres in London with 10 immaculate tennis courts in the heart of this peaceful city park.
- Croydon Recreation Ground, Beckenham: Eight excellent courts that are looked after every day by the local council.
Sports equipment storage in Wimbledon
Now if you live, work or play in or around the Wimbledon area and you’re looking to store your sports equipment, ABC’s Wandsworth branch can help.
Whether you’re selling sports equipment and you need somewhere to store your stock, you run a tennis coaching club and you need a place to put your rackets, or your home is cluttered up with more bats and balls than you can shake a stick at, we have the perfect solution.
For more information on self storage in Wimbledon our latest rates and our endless amount of customer perks, please get in touch.
Oh, and enjoy Wimbledon 2017!