In case you didn’t already know (like if you’ve been living in a subterranean bunker or have been enjoying the world’s biggest ever lie in), we’re in the midst of a big freeze.
Yes, the ‘Beast from the East’ is upon us, and it’s messing up transport, turning the pavements into unwanted ice skating rinks, chafing fingertips, freezing pipes and generally being a big old pain in the backside. The snow does make the London skyline pretty though.
The Met Office has warned us to brace ourselves for more snow and disruptions, so all of us at ABC just wanted to say: stay safe and enjoy the snow as much as you can – after all, if you can’t beat it, join it.
That said, while you’re (hopefully) inside right now taking refuge from the sub zero temperatures and battering gusts of wind served up by our friend, the ‘Beast from the East’, here are a few measures you can take to stay safe:
- To avoid your pipes freezing, ensure all exposed pipes are properly insulated. These checks include the pipes in the attic. You should also insulate or wrap a towel around an outside tap, if you have one.
- Leave a light on in the attic to help retain some of its warmth.
- Leave your heating on for extended periods at lower settings.
- Go out somewhere local and make sure you have sufficient supplies of food, fuel and medicine in case you can’t leave your pad for a few days.
- When you do venture out, wrap up in warm clothing and well-fitting shoes with a non-slip sole.
- If you need to drive, check your headlamps, brake lights and indicators before setting off as snow showers often reduce visibility.
- Always bring a fully charged mobile phone with you in a case your car breaks down.
- Heading out on a long distance journey? Pack a hi-viz jacket, shovel, boots or wellingtons, additional clothing or a blanket and a flask in the boot of the car, in case of emergencies.
We hope these top tips will help you stay safe, happy and comfortable as the ‘Beast from the East’ rattles through the city – and if you do find yourself snowed in, a good book or Netflix box set will keep you company.
Plus, if you do also find yourself cooped up and you need to burn excess energy, maybe you should do the spring cleaning a little early? If so, check out our foolproof ABC guide to tackling that big annual spring clean.
Best of luck: stay warm, stay safe and look after eachother.